Well, as everyone knows, the Orioles are off to the best start in the MLB. To add to that, they are off to the best start in 10 years. There have been alot of keys to sucess in accomplishing this 6-1 start. Here is the list I have compiled to why they are off to such a start.
- Number 1 has to be team unity and chemistry. This team likes to play with each other and they like to be around each other. Now that the bad apples are gone (Tejada and Bedard) This team will function better without the locker room distractions.
- Bullpen. Off to a very very hot start. They have the 2nd ranked bullpen ERA with a figure below 1. Sherill already has 4 saves and Sarfate, Bierd, and Albers have been very nice keys assets as well.
- Offense. In 7 starts this year they average around 6 runs per game.
- This is a big one right here. Hasn't been mentioned very much. Fundamentals. The Orioles are doing the little things right. Sacrafice Fly, Sacrafice bunting, very few errors. Basically scoring runs when they need to be scored and getting easy outs.
Here are the things that will most likely hurt the orioles in the long run.
- Bullpen. As much as it is a key to the teams streak. it is being way overused. Starting pitchers arent getting far into the game and relievers are coming in in the 6th inning.
- Starting Pitching. Very inexperienced. Have two guys just coming off severe injuries. And to add to that, they have the second worst Starting Pitching ERA behind the Florida Marlins.
I know most of this information has already been said once or twice by a few other o's fans, but I'm just trying to get the first blog entry under my belt. Let me know what you think!